Thursday, February 7, 2008

Where are Your Parents?

Why is that I see my students wandering the streets randomly on weeknights or weekends?

There is a large shopping center relatively close to where I live, and I have noticed that entire herds of middle schoolers (and high schoolers) roam there, every weekend at least, but most weeknights, too.

So much so that they have increased security, and the police department has large presence there.

Why on earth would you allow your 11- and 12-year-old wander, unsupervised? How on earth could you justify it? It's simply not safe.

We have all seen the news, about kids snatched and not returned. Why make it easy for them, and release your child in a contained place, and make it like shooting fish in a barrel?
It really disappoints me.

I mean, I was shopping the other day, and I felt like a movie star as I was walking around with my friends, hearing my name shrieked in excitement, followed by kids chasing me down and hugging me.

On the one hand, it was nice they wanted to see me that badly. On the other, I ask, always without fail, where is your mother?

Oh, she's at home.

Oh, I say. What is there to say to that?

Remember, parents, just because your kid says, "But all the other kids are doing it!" doesn't make it true.

And even if it is true, you don't have to listen. Keep your child safe!

Or go with them. It'll keep them safe, even if they don't like it.

Keep your kids at home!

No comments: