Thursday, August 2, 2007

Teacher Stores, or Teacher's Heaven

One of the most exciting parts of getting ready for the new school year is getting new school supplies. These can be as simple as a new pack of pens (I have scary numbers of pens, but I love getting new ones) or as wonderful as a new teacher resource book.

Something that does make shopping for school difficult is the fact there wasn't a school store anywhere close to me. The closest one was about 45 minutes away.

Until recently, that is.

They opened up a brand new (albeit small) teacher store within 10 minutes of my house. There is almost no way to describe how excited I was when I saw the sign and figured out what it said for the first time.

I had to wait for them to open, then I had to wait for me to be able to get myself over there.

Today, I finally made it!

I walked in and was immediately met with bright colors and cheerful items designed to get children to read. Then I saw math manipulatives (the one reason I am sad I don't teach math... I love to play with the math stuff), and posters, and teacher stamps, and books, and borders, and and and!

I love pretty new things. It makes me eager to get into my classroom, set up the stuff, and meet the new children. A good thing, I think.

So, I bought 2 posters, a new lesson plan book, a pack of pre-cut letters (in a delightful stained glass pattern), and a handwriting book.

One of the posters that I bought was a very cute one I have been looking for, which says, "Save the drama for your llama" and the llama is saying "I don't want to hear it either" with a grouchy look. It's perfect for 6th grade drama.

Now I just have to get my classroom keys, haul all the stuff I brought home back to school (along with all the new stuff I bought), and wait for the kids.

I can't wait.

No comments: