Thursday, January 24, 2008

Little Details

It's the little things that make up a whole day. Each little minute going by, moving into the next minute, adding up to a whole period, a whole day, a whole week.

Some of the the little minutes I have had in my classroom recently:

-One of the kids was answering a question about what a female seahorse does with her eggs. She wrote, "She takes her eggs and gives them to her husband to hold for about 2 weeks. Once they are ready, he lets them go back to his wife."

-One of my boys decided that the mouse's name was too difficult and started calling her "Sally." Now his whole class period calls her Sally.

-Upon receiving an A on a test, one of my girls came over to ask me if it was a mistake. She was serious! (How heartbreaking is that? She says she has never gotten an A in language arts. I told her I was so proud!)

-The boys trying, for the 9th time, to make it in the trash can in a game of improvised basketball. Me, asking them to stop, also for the 9th time, starting to sound irritated.

-The computer completely and totally crashing as I was trying to show the kids something on the Internet. Leaving them to stare at me, startled, then gleefully begin talking.

-Me forgetting to tune into the morning announcements for two days in a row. (It's not like it's not every morning, at the same time, or anything.)

-Letting the children go 20 minutes early for lunch because I was so very confused about the time, what day it was, what period it was, and having them brought back by my 6th grade administrator. (Whoops).

-My student assistant staring at me like I am insane as I teach. (I really don't like this. It feels a little strange, her staring at me the whole time. Doesn't she have homework??)

-Having a child have a complete breakdown in the media center, complete with screaming, crying, and stomping feet. (By screaming, I mean, SCREAMING, not just yelling). He wasn't allowed to check out a book, since he forgot his ID that day. (The look on the media clerk's face was pretty funny, though. She wasn't expecting that from a 12-year-old.)

-One of my students asks for his grade every day. Rain or shine. Even when he just saw his grade online, before he left home. That morning. When nothing could have possibly changed.

Right now, it's a tiresome time for teachers. After the holiday break, we have the push to the standardized tests. The clock is ticking, the kids are feeling it and are squirrely, and the teachers are desperately trying to get it all in.

So, I am glad for the little moments right now... it keeps me from focusing on the bigger picture and going crazy!

(By the way, if anyone is interested in hearing more about anything in particular, feel free to leave it in my comments section, and I'll see if I can accommodate you... Thanks!)

2 comments:

Nikki said...

Hi LAL!
I found your blog via The Pioneer Woman and I am so glad I came over to take a peek. This is my 16th year to teach 6th grade and I taught physical education for 14 years before that. I usually teach reading to 4 classes and spelling to my own kids, but right now we are self-contained because we are all doing a special research project.
I love your Wall of Shame! I must steal that idea if you don't mind. And how cute--I have the "Listen and Silent" poster up in my room, too. I also have the one with "Deadlines are closer than they appear" and several others.
I'll be back to read your archives.
Nikki H.

Language Arts Lady said...

Wow, you have been teaching a long time! I would love to have you at my school... I steal shamelessly from veteran teachers.

Please, use the "Wall of Shame." The kids get so excited about it, and they love it. It makes them much more aware as readers, since they really want to find an error.

I really do love my posters. I think it's almost silly, but I am very attached to them. Getting a new one at the beginning of school is so much fun. :o)

I'm so glad you have found my blog! I love Pioneer Woman, and she's really what got me starting blogging.

So, welcome! I hope you find my blog interesting.