Thursday, January 31, 2008

Why Do They Lie?

We have been slammed recently on our team (and I think our whole school) with parent conferences, since report cards have gone home recently, and since this time, there was a little letter attached explaining the retention/promotion policy, so parents became aware of just how serious those Fs in math, language arts, social studies, and science truly are.

Something we have noticed about our kids in these conferences is that they lie. They will stare you in the face and lie to their parents and to you. Then, they will look ashamed and sob.

Why do they do that? They know we are right there listening to them and we will bust them. For example, one student told his mother that he always does his homework in class, every day, so that's why he doesn't ever have homework.

Now, this is not true. In all of the classes on my team, we simply do not do homework in class, because we're busy doing classwork. It is a very, very rare occasion that allows them to even start their homework in class, let alone finish it. In my class, we perhaps begin homework in class once a month.

So of course, all of his teachers explained that this was not true, and he just doesn't ever do his homework, showing her the print out of his grades, which show he hasn't done any homework this 9 weeks.

Why would they do that? It incenses their parent, who is sitting right there, having to listen to people telling them their child isn't doing what they are supposed to. They are already annoyed, then to be confronted by their child lying? It embarrasses them, and makes for embarrassing scenes for us, the teachers, as the parent struggles with their anger and frustration at their child, and as the kid sobs.

Then, why do they lie when you sat and watched them do something? For instance, one of my troublemaking boys has recently been getting in quite a bit of trouble with all of his teachers.

His parents have been up to the school multiple times, the teachers call home weekly, we write notes in his planner every day, and more, but he still is struggling with his behavior.

He was sitting in class after he finished a test, and he was supposed to be reading his book. Instead, he had pulled out a toy and was playing with it.

In my class.

In the front row, during a test (so I am watching to make sure no one is talking or cheating), seconds after I had told him to read his book.

Then, after I took it away, he argued with me for 15 minutes about it. I finally tired of it, and told him to go and sit down, so he sat and pouted for the rest of class. After class, he came over to try to sweet talk me, to try to get it back.

I told him that he would have to have a good couple of days in a row to earn it back, which is my normal policy. Most kids are aware of their item in my possession, hanging over their head, and they get it back quickly.

Instead of accepting this and leaving, he starts to argue. Again.

He tells me that he was, "Just taking it out of my pocket to put something else away."

Now, I know this is a lie, since I watched him pull it out and play with it for awhile. I told him this, and how I had watched him play with it, and he said, "No, I was putting something away!"

I told him that he needed to leave now (since class was over and my other kids were trying to come in, but were hovering confusedly in the doorway, not sure if they could come in or not).

He starts shrieking about how it is his and he wasn't doing anything and it wasn't fair.

I was finished.

I wasn't going to sit and be yelled at by a child who had flat out lied to me about a dumb toy that shouldn't have been at school in the first place.

Later, at his parent conference, I told his parents about the incident, and his dad told me to just throw the toy away.

I love when parents are supportive. It makes me feel better about the struggles I have with their kids.

But I still don't understand why the kids lie to me. Or to their parents.

Why?

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I have two students who never ever do their homework. One nonchalantly tells me, "Sorry, Mrs. W. I don't have it."
The other one tells me he broke his flashdrive, his printer ran out of ink, his computer doesn't have internet, he doesn't have any neighbors or friends who have a computer he could use, he had no way to get to the public library, and he couldn't get to school in time to work on it before the day began. The same child often brings in notes from his mom explaining why her eighth grade son was unable to complete his homework.

I hate when they lie. What's worse: I hate when their parents lie for them. No wonder he has no sense of responsibility.

On the other hand, I love when a student says, "Mrs. W, you need to take my point. You forgot to mark my discipline sheet that I don't have my homework."

Language Arts Lady said...

I have some students who do the same thing as well... it's always some excuse, and they ALWAYS want to call home.

Their parents ALWAYS (at least in the classes that let them call home) leave their job, drive home, pick up their work, and then drop it off. No wonder they never learn to check to make sure they have everything before leaving.

And you're right; their parents lying for them makes it so much worse. It just saddens me.

When they are truthful about things that benefit them (like I recently had a girl tell me that I had said she missed 6 but she really missed 7), it makes me so happy. I don't change their grade... I think their honesty is worth a couple of extra points.

Thanks for the viewpoint! It's nice to hear confirmation that I am not the only one who has these experiences, even on not-so-happy things.