Friday, August 17, 2007

Meet the Teacher 2007

Well, I have survived (barely) this year's Meet the Teacher. It wasn't as bad as my first year, where I was trapped. I was able to sit down for a few minutes a few times, and rest my feet, and I remembered to bring a drink this time, so I wasn't dying of thirst.

I think, though, with my classroom a little ways down the hall from the rest of my team, some parents didn't find me. Not complaining, though!

Of course, barely 2 hours after the parents left, I received my very first email of the year.

Wow. They don't waste time, do they?

I saw lots of my kids from last year, and it was very nice to see most of them. They are all excited and thrilled to see me.

Some of them look so old I can't even believe it. What happened in the two months since I saw them? Did they eat more because they were just at home? Or is it that amazing growth spurt that happens between 12 and 13?

Some of the bizarre/funny/notable things that happened today:

-A parent introduced their child to me, but gives me the wrong name. The kid then reintroduces himself.

-Parents arguing as they were talking to me. i.e. "You don't have to be so rude to me!" "Don't be stupid!" to each other, then asking about my curriculum.

-A child walked into my room and starting going through the stuff on my desk. Like, my personal stuff. Like picking up my keys and the phone.

-All kids and parents have gum. This is going to be a year we battle gum.

-Most of the little 6th grade girls were breaking dress code... little spaghetti straps, short skirts...

-One parent told me all about her child, and how he has an IEP, and on and on, and ON, and I finally asked who her child was, and she pointed him out. Then I asked about his schedule, so she showed me, and he wasn't even on my team!

-I have two siblings (that I met today) of kids I've had before. One of them did start to cry, though, because she didn't want to be on my team (not because of me, but she loves the other team's language arts teacher...) (At least, I hope her brother wasn't telling tales...)

It was a crazy day, it really was.

Something else I found highly amusing today was listening to one of the new teachers at my school describe his day. This is his first year teaching kids (he's taught college and stuff) and he wasn't sure what to expect. He's also from England, and has an accent (of course). The little 6th grade girls were almost melting, just listening to him talk. He said one of the girls who was going to be in his class just stared at him, then left and brought 2 friends, and then they all stared at him. Then they started giggling (if you've been around a middle grades girl, you'll know exactly what I mean by giggling.) When he asked them what they wanted, they just told him he talks "funny" and they want to hear him talk.

I said, well, at least you'll be sure the girls are listening to you when you give them directions.

It's an almost unfair advantage over the rest of us.

No comments: