Friday, April 25, 2008

A Bad Day

Remember when I mentioned Meet Your Teacher? It's the thing at the beginning of the year that allows the parents and kids to look at their teacher, follow their schedule and get a feel for where the classrooms are located, and so on.

It's the week before school starts. So we haven't seen gotten a roster yet, we don't know the names of any of our kids, we're still setting up the classroom, trying to get copies made, posters hung, and myriad other things that demands attention before school can begin.

Well, we recently had a parent conference with a parent, who screamed at me, and said she had told me that if I had ever had a problem with her child, that I was supposed to immediately pick up the phone and call her, and she would take care of the problem and make sure it didn't happen. That she had problems with her child last year, since midway through the year no work was completed.

I said sure, I could do that. So did the other teachers, back then at Meet Your Teacher. You know, the one that happened before school started. So I didn't know her, or her child, or even their names.

Now, if I was a parent, and I knew that my child had a habit like that, I would have let school get started, then called the teacher and had a little chat about what my child likes to do, and ask if the teacher could keep their eyes peeled for any indication it was happening, so that I could deal with it immediately.

But that is apparently too hard to do. It's much easier to wait until there is about 1 month left in the school year, make a conference, and scream at each of the teachers in turn about how you were not notified that you child was failing.

When it was mentioned that the report cards and progress reports serve as a notification, we were told that she had not "seen any f*** report cards." (not as bad as it could have been; it wasn't the actual word, but it was a pretty vulgar substitution anyway, and I must say it offended me.)

I'm really sorry, and maybe I could have said something to mollify her, but at this point, I shut down. I can't handle being screamed at, I really cannot. I mean, beyond the simple fact it's not polite, she has no right to speak to me in such a manner. I am not her child, I am not her servant. I am a professional, who has a real job, who went to school and worked hard for my degree, so that I could teach these children as I love to do. How dare she scream at me?

This really upset me, and I am still upset. I am not sure what she was hoping to get out of this, but I can assure you I am officially not committed to helping her figure out a solution.

This might be childish on my part, but I'm sorry, and I cannot help it. Maybe in 20 years time I will be more philosophical about it all, but not yet.

Add to the horror of getting yelled at by someone I don't know, we were not supposed to be alone with this parent, as administration has had previous contact with her, and she has been a little aggressive and belligerent. So, we were supposed to have an administrator and the guidance counselor, neither of whom came. I think someone outside of the situation would have helped immensely, as they could have said calming things and explained how it is not acceptable to speak to us like that, and ways to resolve the issue.

Instead, we have no resolution. The parent says that it's our fault her child is failing, because if we had just called, just once, it would have changed instantly.

We did try to explain that we sent home lots of things with her child, explaining she has received a low grade on something, or she wasn't doing something, or sending her tests home to be signed. When we pulled the child's file, it was stuff full of things from one class, then nothing from the other classes. When we showed her that her own signature was on the tests, she claims only one of them, and calmly tells us the rest are forged, and that her child is really good at forging.

Then, she tells us, that's not the problem, though. The forging wouldn't be happening if her child knew that she had received a phone call from the school.

Well, we're sorry, but we did not remember that you had talked to us, before we knew your child's name. So we didn't call, because, and this is the most annoying part, her child is in all advanced classes. So, we should not have to check up on her constantly, as she is in advanced classes. It's the same thing as how we do not have tutoring for the child, since they are in advanced classes, and if they cannot keep up, they need to not be in advanced.

Anyway. It was a very bad day, and I felt sad and snappish the remainder of the of the day. I don't blame the kids for their parents, since they cannot help it, but it's still hard to not see the mom when you look at the kid.

So, anyway. Parents need to remember that the vast majority of teachers really want whatever is best for your child, and if you work with them, and be polite and patient, they are thrilled to help you. I love my super-involved parents. They make my life much easier.

So. Just thought I'd share one of the very very negative things about teaching.

But I still love doing it.

Not sure why sometimes, but I do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry I am so late getting back to your blog. Especially after reading what a crappy conference you had with this parent. I have a couple of questions for you, if you don't mind. Is this the first contact you have had with this parent since the Meet Your Teacher? If so, the parent was waiting a little to express her concern about her child. Did you know you shouldn't be alone with her before you had the conference? If so, never schedule the conference for your classroom. Always make sure the conference is held in the principal's office or the counselor's office just to protect yourself.
And finally, here's a tip: Don't take this personally. I'm not trying to be negative, but there are just some people who are unreasonable ("she's good at forging?" you must be joking. Thanks, Mom, for the head's up, now that school is nearly finished).
When you have trouble with parents like that, you can say 1 of 3 things: I'm sorry you feel that way. or I don't know what you are talking about. or I'll see what I can do to resolve this problem.
And then take a deep breath and live your own life. No harm, no foul.
Good luck and hang in there. As I said before, school's nearly out.
Nikki

Nikki said...

Forgive the typos above, please. I was in a hurry.

Language Arts Lady said...

I am THRILLED school is almost out. It really is important to get away, because I will love my students so much more next year at the beginning... not that I don't love them now, but I am tired.

In answer to your questions:

Yes, this is the first teacher-level contact with this parent. She has spent many hours with the principal, telling her about her life and how it's not going well, but never with the teachers, nor did she ask the principal to tell us about her wish for us to call. I agree that she waited a little long, and that is one of the frustrating things.

Yes, I knew not to be alone, thank goodness. At our school, you simply are not able to have one-on-one conferences with a teacher. It's the whole team or no one, so I am blessed in that sense. I still do wish admin had been there, but we asked and they chose not to, so not sure what I could have done differently, other than make a big stink (and trust me, if she wants round two, they WILL be there.)

I try not to take it personally, but it's really hard for me. I one of the people easily hurt by things I shouldn't let bother me. When I used to work with the public, they would be cruel because I told them no about something, and it hurt, even though I knew they didn't care it was me, they would have been the same to any other person standing there saying no. This is definitely something I work on.

Thank you so much for the encouragement! It really does help.

:o)